Diabetes is a chronic health condition that affects how your body turns food into energy. Most of the food you eat is broken down into sugar (also called glucose) and released into your bloodstream. When your blood sugar goes up, it signals your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin acts like a key to letting the blood sugar into your body’s cells for use as energy. There are 4 types,
- Type 1 Diabetes – The pancreas produces little or no insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes – Insulin isn’t used the way it should.
- Gestational Diabetes – Develops during pregnancy and disappears afterward.
- Prediabetes – Blood sugar levels are higher than normal.
There are various foods that diabetics should avoid and foods that they can eat.
Food diabetics can eat freely –
How much you need to eat and drink is based on your age, gender, how active you are, and the goals you’re aiming for. But no single food contains all the essential nutrients your body needs.
Foods and drinks limited to diabetics include,
- Fried foods and other foods high in saturated fat and trans fat
- Foods high in salt also called sodium
- Sweets, such as baked goods, candy, and ice cream
- Beverages with added sugars, such as juice, regular soda, and regular sports or energy drinks
Preventing diabetes –
- Lose extra weight – Losing weight reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Be more physically active – There are many benefits to regular physical activity.
- Eat healthy plant foods – Plants provide vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates in your diet.
- Eat healthy fats.
- Skip fad diets and make healthier choices.
The main goals for a diabetic should include staying away from unhealthy fats, liquid sugars, processed grains, and other foods that contain refined carbs.
Avoiding foods that increase your blood sugar levels and drive insulin resistance can help keep you healthy and reduce your risk of future diabetes complications
How can you tell if you are a diabetic and the symptoms?
- Early symptoms can include extreme thirst, frequent urination, and slow wound healing. Often, symptoms for untreated diabetics get worse and are either mild or unnoticeable in the early stages. A diabetes diagnosis can be confirmed with one or more blood tests.
How do diabetics check their blood sugar? –
- People who are diabetic check their blood glucose levels by poking their fingertips and using a blood glucose meter or a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) to measure the blood glucose level at that moment.
Diabetic Supplies –
People with diabetes need supplies such as blood sugar testing monitors, test strips, lancets, and insulin to therapeutic shoes or inserts. These would help in identifying if they’re diabetic and their glucose levels and controlling it as well, it is not a cure but only a controlled solution for this health condition.
We have every diabetic supply you need and you can get all your complete diabetic supplies from us!